College or bust. Forget football, forget rugby. In the town where I live, the college admissions process is more competitive than any contact sport. This blog chronicles the process.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Would Folic Acid Help?

It occurs to me that this whole admissions process is not unlike a pregnancy--it seems to take a long time, there are mood swings galore, and at the end of the process your life is markedly different than it was back when the whole thing seemed like a good idea.

At least when I was pregnant, I could go to the doctor for monthly check-ups to make sure all was on track. And at each visit he would ask if I was remembering to take my folic acid--a vitamin to promote cell growth and prevent spina bifida and other congenital malformations. It seemed so simple. Eat well, take my folic acid, and there was a fabulously high chance that all would turn out well in the end. As happily, with both my children, it did.

But I do not believe there is a "folic acid" or other pill out there that can claim to do the same for college admissions. Would that there were.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home